I am about to ban baby walker in my home and here is why!
Gone are the days of ‘it takes a village’, most of us don’t even know our neighbours to start with! Now it takes baby walker, Jumperoos, car seats and to give mama a break.
My little man started using his walker around 6 months old and yes, it was fun! I could breathe and get a minute alone (I’m sure every new mama can relate). I simply put him in his walker, play the music and leave him be while watching closely.
Here is my personal experience so far (I haven’t tried the sit-stand ones so I can’t say much on them).
1. It gives me free hand to do a few chores while watching over my baby closely.
2. It keeps my baby entertained. A happy baby makes a happy mama, right?
3. I heard that it helps babies learn how to walker faster (Not sure about this because I can’t see how it has helped).
1. The walker makes him a little too mobile. My baby moves so fast in it and topples over when he climbs an obstacle. Falls are part of the normal growing process. Most falls lead only to bumps and bruises, but they can sometimes lead to a trip to a doctor or the hospital.
2. The constant worry that he may tip over creates enough anxiety in me not to leave him alone in it.
3. Baby walkers aren’t the must-have baby product that many parents think they are, though.
Child safety experts recommend that you don’t use baby walkers. Baby walkers can cause serious injuries. For example, if a baby walker tips over or falls down stairs, children can suffer head and other serious injuries like fractures. If you must use baby walkers, please ensure you are close enough to supervise the little one and also, what children might hit as they fall: sharp-edged furniture, like coffee tables and bedside tables, should be placed in areas where a child is unlikely to fall on them.
Recommendations if you must buy a Baby Walker
- Close the door or gate at the top of the stairs
- Keep children within view
- Keep children away from hot surfaces and containers
- Beware of dangling appliance cords
- Keep children away from toilets, swimming pools and other sources of water
Here is what other mums think below.
*Please note, this is my personal experience*.
What baby product will you like me to review? Please drop a comment!