Remember when you were pregnant and you used to feel hungry all the time? I’m pretty sure you were looking forward to not feeling that way after delivery.
Some of you may have even planned your ‘snap back’ diets already. I hate to break it to you Mama; breastfeeding is exactly the same.
With breastfeeding, all of your child’s nourishment comes from for the first six months of life. This requires you to consume about 500 extra calories to be able to produce sufficient milk for your little one. It is also important that you eat right so that you can increase the quality and quantity of your breastmilk. So what should you eat?
- Protein: these should include meat, poultry, and fish. 3 servings of protein daily are sufficient.
- Calcium: This is super important as baby gets calcium from you. Foods rich in calcium include yoghurt, milk, green vegetables such as spinach and kale, cheese and sardines. You should take at least 1500mg of calcium daily. 5 servings of calcium-rich foods are sufficient.
- Iron-rich foods: Ugwu is an excellent source of iron and is readily available. 1-2 servings daily.
- Vitamin C: foods rich in Vit C are many. Tomatoes, citrus fruits, bell peppers and sweet potatoes are an excellent source. Aim for 2 servings.
- Other fruits and veggies: 1 or more servings
- Whole grains and complex carbohydrates: These include grains like rolled oats and brown rice. Ofada rice is great as well. Aim for 3 servings.
- High-fat foods: Small amounts (you don’t need as much as you did during pregnancy).
- Omega 3s: 2 to 3 servings per week, to promote baby’s brain growth (our granola and cookies are very rich in this. Each bag or jar contains 540mg of omega 3 fatty acids i.e one serving)
Go forth and enrich your milk!
Are you close to weaning stage? Congratulations mama! Be in the know. Learn the easiest and highly nutritious meals you can introduce to your little one of my YouTube channel. Click here to subscribe to New Mums Hub on YouTube!
Don’t forget, for more tips, tricks and breastfeeding hacks, follow breastfeedingng on Instagram!