Edika Ikong soup is not only delicious, it is also very nutritious. This soup is native to the Efiks, Akwa Ibom and Cross River states of Nigeria.
Ingredients for Edika Ikong Soup
- 1kg Pumpkin leaves
- 500g Water leaves (Talinum Triangulare)
- 600g Beef, shaki and Dry fish
- Pepper, Salt and ground crayfish: to taste
- 200ml Palm oil
- 1 cup of Periwinkle
- 2 medium onions
- 2-3 stock cubes
- Cut the pumpkin and water leaves into tiny pieces and wash thoroughly. Put them in different sieves to drain.
- Boil the beef, and the dry fish with the 2 bulbs of diced onions and the stock cubes with as little quantity of water as possible.
- Add palm oil to the boiled meat. Also add the crayfish and pepper and leave to boil for about 10 minutes. Use enough palm oil so it is the only liquid in the soup. You won’t be adding any water.
- Pour in the clean periwinkle and water leaves and leave to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Finally, add the pumpkin leaves and salt to taste. Stir the contents of the pot very well and turn off the heat. Cover the pot and leave to stem for about 5 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite swallow.
Let’s connect on social!