I’ve been hearing from you guys a lot lately that meal times feel overwhelming.⠀Sometimes, the only way you can get your kiddo to eat is by putting a show on TV.⠀I get it, picky eaters can feel like a big challenge.⠀While the TV might be a solution in the moment, in the long run it might actually make picky eating worse.⠀
Instead of using electronics for a mealtime distraction, try these tips 👇🏻👇🏻👇🏻
1. Keep mealtimes short for young kids.⠀
2. Engage them in conversation or play some fun word (or even card) games⠀
3. Make meals fun using shape cut outs, bright colors or food pics⠀
4. Chat with your kids about how the food looks, smells, feels (even if they don’t want to taste)⠀
5. Give yourself permission to allow them not to eat it if they just don’t want something.⠀
6. Serve the same dish at family time for everyone. Your toddler may be more interested in sharing your plate. Be open to it.
7. Avoid bribing and compensating your baby eating particular meals with treats. As tempting as this is, it will only make them more excited about the treats instead of the main meals.
8. Involve your toddlers in the cooking process. Messy yet, but rewarding.
9. Tray over and over again. Sometimes, it takes a toddler up to 10 times of eating the same food to actually be receptive to it.
10. If your baby totally refuses a particular meal, try not to fuss or force. It is better for them to take cues from their body when they are hungry.
Do you have more tips? Please share in the comment!