It’s normal to panic a bit as a new mum when you are about to pierce your baby’s ears and even though the actual piercing is over in seconds, the pain lingers for a bit because it’s done without anesthesia.
Both medical professionals and local jewelers provide ear piercing services. There is no restriction to when it is done as long as it’s done by a professional in an aseptic environment.
Here are some safety tips that you may follow when you plan to get your baby’s ears pierced:
- Make sure the person piercing your baby’s ears is trained or an expert in the field.
- Make sure the piercing equipment is sterilized.
- Make sure to choose the right size of the earring (no dangling, hanging or hooped earrings).
- Make sure to choose the right metal for the earring( gold, silver or sterilized steel)
- Clean the area surrounding the earring regularly to reduce dirt.
- Clean your baby’s earlobes with antiseptic lotion, antibiotic lotion or alcohol twice a day. You may even rotate your baby’s earrings gently.
- It is advised not to change or remove your baby’s earrings for at least for six weeks after the ear piercing procedure.
- In case you notice any pus, swelling or fever, you should get immediate medical help as it could be because of an infection.
Do you have other tips? Please share with us in the comments!