If you are wondering when is the best time to turn your rear facing car seat forward, then this is for you!
I can almost say my baby’s car seat Chicco Keyfit30 is the best investment I made in baby gears. I mean, aren’t baby car seats awesome? You feel safer and at peace knowing your baby is safely tucked away in her car seat (till they start struggling to get out)
Infant death has reduced greatly because of car seats. In the rear-facing car seat, your baby’s body is better protected, especially the head, neck, spine and back are buried in the hard shell while in the front facing seat, the only restraint is the strap.
Keep them rear-facing until at least 2-years-old or until they reach the weight limit. All car seats come with a set limit, so check your car seat manual for that.
Here is your car seat safety checklist!
- Ensure that the seat is in usable condition (Buckles function and ‘CLICK’ into place, shell has no signs of cracks, harnesses and seat belts are not frayed).
- Install the car seat correctly (Tether strap is secure, seat is installed firmly with little movement).
- Check that harnesses and seatbelt straps are not twisted.
- If you have an adjustable headrest, check that it is positioned correctly, just above the child’s shoulders.
- If you are travelling long distances, plan your rest stops ahead of time. Secure any loose objects in the car and boot which could be dangerous in an accident.