One of the biggest shockers I had as a new mum was that babies cry. A lot! Newborns are born with different temperaments and some are more sensitive than others.
Many new parents wonder if something is wrong with their parenting or their baby. I have put together some baby calming strategies to help you till your baby becomes easier to read.
- Skin-to-skin contact or wearing your baby: This provides warmth and also makes your newborn feel safe in your arms.
- Change diaper: Some babies can’t stand wet or dirty diapers. In fact, no baby should be left in those to avoid diaper rashes.
- Burp: Gas trapped in your baby’s belly can be uncomfortable. While feeding, babies take in some gas and burping and stomach massage will help your baby release this trapped gas.
- Feeding: Nothing makes a baby wail faster than hunger. Lol. If your baby won’t stop crying, try feeding.
- Sing: Babies love rhythms. Sing a soft and slow paced song to calm your baby down.
- Know the triggers: Study your newborn. Does she cry more when she is tired, sleepy or just waking up? Knowing the triggers arms you to prepare ahead.
- Go Outside: Change of scenery can help calm a crying baby down. If your baby won’t stop crying, go outside.
- White noise: White noise has a soothing effect on babies. You can download white noise off YouTube. The sound of Air Conditioning system and hair dryer is similar to white noise and works well too.
- Change Clothing: If your baby is too cold or too hot, a change of clothing is needed to calm your baby down. Also, a label or thread can irritate your baby and make her cry non-stop.
- Try different holds: Try adjusting how you are carrying your baby to ensure he is comfortable.
Do you have other tips, please share!
Also read: Get Your Toddler Talking With These 5 Tips!
Let’s connect on social!